DRUG DISCHARGE AND GAUGING OF ANTI EPILEPTIC DRUGS
Background:Epilepsy is the second most common chronic neurological condition. Epilepsy means a tendency to have seizures i.e. recurrent unprovoked seizures. A seizure is a clinical events caused by an abnormal electrical discharge in brain (or) a transient disturbance of cerebral function due to an abnormal paroxysmal neuronal discharge in brain.Aims and Objectives: The main aim of the study is drug utilization evaluation of antiepileptic drugs among patients of different age groups in jayabharath hospital,Andhra Pradesh,. To assess drug utilization pattern of anti-epileptic drugs. METHODOLOGY:A prospective observational questionnaire based cross sectional study in 300 patients of various departments receiving atleastone AEDs. The subjects were included in the study only after they met the criteria for the study and after properly filling a informed consent form. The data was obtained by a questionnaire format and it is evaluated for utilization patterns, medication adherence. The cost of AEDs were calculated to evaluate total costs on each drug.RESULTS:Out of 300 patients, 210 were male and 90 were female. The age group 11- 20 years were found prominent with epilepsy. The average number of AEDs per patient was found to be 1.54. Among all the drugs prescribed phenytoin was the most common drug prescribed 223 (47.89%) for the treatment, followed by lorazepam 89 (19.09 %) and sodium valproate 40 (8.73 %). CONCLUSION:The use of AEDs was almost found to be rational. In this hospital the most commonly prescribed AEDs was phenytoin followed by lorazepam and in combinational therapy it was phenytoin + lorazepam. The utilization of drugs was obtained from the patients using questionnaire format and they showed high utilization of drugs.
2. Pradeep et al. STUDY ON ANTIEPILEPTIC DRUGS, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research Vol-8 Issue-13(November 2019) 2277– 7105.DOI: 10.20959/wjpr201913-15905
3. S. Pradeep Kumar Reddy & G.V Nagaraju., Saudi J. Med. Pharm. Sci., Vol-4, Iss-9 (Sept, 2018): 1075-1088. DOI: 10.21276/sjmps.2018.4.9.14
4. Dr. S. Pradeep Kumar et al. Drug Utilization Evaluation of Antiepileptic Drugs European Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research Vol-6 Issue -6 (June, 2019): 2394- 3211
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).