PLANTS AND PHYTOCONSTITUENTS HAVING SUNSCREEN ACTIVITY
Sunscreens are those preparation which are rubbed on to the skin surface for the purpose of protection from the harmful UV radiations from the sun. Exposure to those radiations can results in harmful effects such as cancer, edema, varied pigmentation and erythema as a result of DNA damage. Majority of organic chemicals used in sunscreen formulations have not been established as safe. Natural sunscreens gained importance over synthetic ones due to their less side effects, greater protection and easy availability. A wide range of natural products derived from plants, algae and propolis have shown potential photoprotective effect. Natural compounds including flavonoids, cinnamates,polyphenols,carotenoids,anthocyanins,triterpenoid saponins have shown desired Sun Protection Factor (SPF) in addition to anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant property.
2) Radava R Korac, Kapil M Khambholja. Potential of herbs in skin protection from ultraviolet radiation,Pharmacognosy review. 2011; 5(10): 164–173.
3) Arun Rasheed S, NeelufarShama, S Mohanalakshmi,V.Ravichandran.Formulation, characterization and in vitro evaluation of herbal sunscreen lotion .DOI: 1007/s13596-012-0069-z.
4) Sreelesh Brinda, Dhingra Gitika, Vaze Varsha. Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of sun protection factor in a polyherbal cream, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research. 2017; 8(1): 197-200.
5) AK Mishra, A Mishra ,P Chattopadhyay. Herbal Cosmeceuticals for Photoprotection from Ultraviolet B Radiation: A Review, Tropical journal of pharmaceutical research.2011; 10(3): 1-5.
6) World Health Organization, Skin Cancers. How Common is Skin Cancer? http://w ww.who.int/uv/faq/skincancer/en/index1.html.
7) Nisakorn Saewan. Natural products as photoprotection, Journal of cosmetic dermatology. 2015; 14(1). 1-10.
8) WHO SUN PROTECTION https://www.who.int/uv/sun_protection/en/
9) Snehal S Kulkarni, Rasika D Bhalke, V V Pande, Prakash N Kendre. Herbal Plants In Photo Protection And Sun Screening Action: An Overview, Indo American Journal Of Pharm. Research. 2014: 4(02). 1104-1108
10) S K Uddandu Saheb, Aduri Prakash Reddy, K Rajitha B, Sravani B. Vanitha. Formulation and evaluation of cream from naturally occurring plant extract. World journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical science. DOI: 10.20959/wjpps20185-11481.
11) Nicolas Beauchamp, Caetano Dorea, Christine Beaulieu, Christian Bouchard Manuel Rodriguez. Understanding the behavior of UV absorbance of natural waters upon chlorination using model compounds. 2019; Environmental Research: Water Research and Technology; 5(1): 172-184
12) Piergiacomo Buso, Matteo Radice, Anna Baldisserotto, Stefano Manfredini, Silvia Vertuani, Guidelines for the Development of Herbal-Based Sunscreen. 2019; DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.72712.
13) M Nathaniel Mead. Benefits of sunlight; a bright spot for human health, Environ Health Perspect . 2008; 116(4): A160–A167.
14) Alesandra R. Nunes, Icaro G. P. Vieira,Dinalva B Queiroz, Antonio Linkoln Alves Borges Leal, Selene Maia Morais,Debora Feitosa Muniz, Joao Tavares Calixto-Junior, Henrique Douglas Melo Coutinho. Use of flavonoids and cinnamates ,the main photoprotectors with natural origin, Hindawi. 2018; (4): 1-9.
15) Ashwini S Dhase,Somishwar S Khadbadi, Shweta S Saboo. Formulation and evaluation of vanishing herbal cream of crude drugs, American Journal of Ethnomedicicne. 2014; 1(5): 313-318.
16) Dandu Anitha, Kolavali Yalla Reddy, Pichairajan Venkatesh and M Jhansi Raani. A review-herbal sunscreen agent on skin protection 2016. EJPMR, 2016,3(11), 308-313
17) Mukund Manikrao Donglikar, Sharada Laxman Deore . Development and Evaluation of Herbal Sunscreen, Pharmacognosy Journal. 2017; 9(1): 83-97.
18) Bahere Salehi , Abhay Prakash Mishra ,Manisha Nigam,Bilge Sener,Mehtap Kilic Mehdi Sharifi-Rad. Resveratrol: A double- edged sword in health benefits ,Biomedicines; 2018 ; 6(3): 91. https://doi.org/10.3390/biomedicines6030091.
19) P A Tendulkar , M A Surve , M A Deodhar. Sun protective formulation from carotenoids extracted from thermotolerant genera Synechocystis pevalekii,
International journal of pharmaceutical science and research. 2018; (8): 3223-3234.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Copyright © Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.