CASE REPORT ON EPIDERMOLYSIS BULLOSA ACQUISITA
Epidermolysis bullosa acquisita (EBA) is rare autoimmune blistering of the skin disease but not inherited and characterized by autoantibodies to collagen VII. It is a rare with an incidence rate of 0.26 / million population. Treatment include oral corticosteroids (E.g.: pre-dnisone), anti-inflammatory agents, and immunosuppressants (e.g.: azathioprine). Patients who are on long-term oral steroid treatment may be advised to take calcium and bisphosphonates to reduce the risk of osteoporosis that can be associated with steroid use. A case of 13 years old boy initially presented with bullous vesicular lesions all over the body. 5 months history of progressive trauma persuaded papules and vesicles on his hands, and face.
2. Koga H, PROST SQUARCIONI C, Iwata H, Jonkman MF, Ludwig RJ, Bieber K. Epidermolysis bullosa acquisita: The 2018 update. Frontiers in medicine. 2018;5:362.
3. Russo I, Ferrazzi A, Zanetti I, Alaibac M. Epidermolysis bullosa acquisita in a 17-year-old boy with Crohn's disease. Case Reports. 2015 Jul 10;2015:bcr2015210210.
4. Beiu C, Mihai M, Popa L, Tebeica T, Giurcaneanu C. Epidermolysis Bullosa Acquisita: A Case Report of a Rare Clinical Phenotype and a Review of Literature. Cureus. 2019 Dec 15;11(12).
5. Gu Y and Zheng J. Epidermolysis Bullosa Acquisita Responsive to Topical Steroid Therapy - A Report of Two Cases. Austin J Dermatolog. 2016; 3(5): 1066.
6. Schmidt E, Benoit S, Bröcker EB, Zillikens D, Goebeler M. Successful adjuvant treatment of recalcitrant epidermolysis bullosa acquisita with anti-CD20 antibody rituximab. Archives of dermatology. 2006 Feb 1;142(2):147-50.
7. Rastogi V, Sharma R, Misra SR, Yadav L. Diagnostic procedures for autoimmune vesiculobullous diseases: A review. Journal of oral and maxillofacial pathology: JOMFP. 2014 Sep;18(3):390.
8. Goyal N, Rao R, Balachandran C, Pai S, Bhogal BS, Schmidt E, Zillikens D. Childhood epidermolysis bullosa acquisita: Confirmation of diagnosis by skin deficient in Type VII Collagen, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, and immunoblotting. Indian journal of dermatology. 2016 May;61(3):329.
9. Benedetto AV, Bergfeld WF, Taylor JS, Osborne DG. Epidermolysis bullosa acquisita. Cleveland Clinic Quarterly. 1976 Jan 1;43(3).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Copyright © Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.