AN OVERVIEW ON EXTRACTION TECHNIQUES OF BIOACTIVE PHYTOCEUTICALS- PLAI PLANT
Medicinal plants are gaining more importance these days as it can provide better treatment alternative for many common diseases with less side effects. One such herbPlai- Zingibercassumunar of Zingiberaceae family proved to have many pharmacological actions like anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, cytotoxic etc. Various extraction methods for its rhizomes are getting more interest as it constitutes numerous photochemical constituents to elicit various actions. Any studies on medicinal plants start with their extraction methods and thus different types of extraction methods are available today. Hence this review focus on comparison of most common extraction methods for various active constituents from rhizomes of Zingiber cassumunar.
2. Hassan M, Adhikari-Devkota A, Imai T, Devkota HP. Zerumbone and Kaempferol Derivatives from the Rhizomes of Zingiber montanum (J. Koenig) Link ex A. Dietr. from Bangladesh. Separations. 2019 Jun;6(2):31.
3. Suksaeree J, Charoenchai L, Madaka F, Monton C, Sakunpak A, Charoonratana T, Pichayakorn W. Zingiber cassumunar blended patches for skin application: Formulation, physicochemical properties, and in vitro studies. Asian journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2015 Jul 1;10(4):341-349.
4. Risnawati E, Ainurofiq A, Wartono MW. Study of antibacterial activity and identification of the most active fraction from ethanol extraction of Zingiber cassumunarRoxb. rhizomes by vacuum liquid chromatography. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2014;6(9):101-107.
5. Nurkhasanah N, Santoso RD, Fauziah R. The immunomodulatory effect of Zingiber cassumunar ethanolic extract on phagocytic activity, nitrit oxide and reaxtive oxygen intermediate secretions of macrophage in mice. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 2017; 259:1-7.
6. Bua-in S, Paisooksantivatana Y. Essential oil and antioxidant activity of Cassumunar ginger (Zingiberaceae: Zingiber montanum (Koenig) Link ex Dietr.) collected from various parts of Thailand. Kasetsart J (Nat Sci). 2009; 43:467-475.
7. Koparde A, Magdum C. Phytochemical studies and pharmacognostical evaluation of Zingiber cassumunarRoxb. Asian J. Pharm. Clin. Res. 2017; 10:129-135.
8. Koontongkaew S, Poachanukoon O, Sireeratawong S, Dechatiwongse Na Ayudhya T, Khonsung P, Jaijoy K, Soawakontha R, Chanchai M. Safety evaluation of Zingiber cassumunarRoxb. rhizome extract: acute and chronic toxicity studies in rats. International scholarly research notices. 2014; 2014:1-2.
9. Kamazeri TS, Samah OA, Taher M, Susanti D, Qaralleh H. Antimicrobial activity and essential oils of Curcuma aeruginosa, Curcuma mangga, and Zingiber cassumunar from Malaysia. Asian Pacific journal of tropical medicine. 2012 Mar 1;5(3):202-209.
10. Sukatta U, Rugthaworn P, Punjee P, Chidchenchey S, Keeratinijakal V. Chemical composition and physical properties of oil from Plai (Zingiber cassumunarRoxb.) obtained by hydro distillation and hexane extraction. Kasetsart J (Nat Sci). 2009;43(5):212-217.
11. Iswantini D, Silitonga RF, Martatilofa E, Darusman LK. Zingiber cassumunar, Guazumaulmifolia, and Murrayapaniculata extracts as antiobesity: in vitro inhibitory effect on pancreatic lipase activity. Hayati Journal of Biosciences. 2011 Mar 1;18(1):6-10.
12. Chienthavorn O, Poonsukcharoen T, Pathrakorn T. Pressurized liquid and superheated water extraction of active constituents from Zingiber cassumunarRoxb. rhizome. Separation Science and Technology. 2011 Feb 25;46(4):616-624.
13. Ozaki Y, Kawahara N, Harada M. Anti-inflammatory effect of Zingiber cassumunarRoxb. and its active principles. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 1991 Sep 25;39(9):2353-2356.
14. Yingngam B, Brantner A. Boosting the essential oil yield from the rhizomes of cassumunar ginger by an eco-friendly solvent-free microwave extraction combined with central composite design. Journal of Essential Oil Research. 2018 Nov 2;30(6):409-420.
Copyright © Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.