IN VIVO ASSESSMENT OF ANTIDEPRESSANT UPSHOT OF L - FENCHONE IN CHRONIC UNPREDICTABLE MILD STRESS (CUMS) INDUCED DEPRESSION LIKE BEHAVIOUR IN RODENTS
A comprehensive approach like combining the natural medicine and CUS model for evaluating it as anti-depressant would be productive. Fenchone screened for anti-depressant activity in CUMS model using Fluoxetine as standard. Wistar albino rats were selected to CUMS procedure for 28 days and all the period test substance was administered at doses of 400 mg/kg and 800 mg/kg and at the end of the treatment behavioural and biochemical parameters were analyzed and histopathology findings were observed. CUMS exposure caused a depression like behavior corroborated by the increased immobility time in Despair swim test. In Actophotometer decreased locomotor activity and in the hole board test a decrease in the number of head dips and line crossings. Biochemical findings revealed that decreased serum oxide dismutase and catalase. Fenchone at the doses tested produced significant effects on behavioral and biochemical tests when compare to CUS group. These results manifested that Fenchone had specifically anti-depressant like effect in vivo. In conclusion, the present study advocate that the repeated administration of Fenchone notably reversed CUMS induced depression and oxidative damage and possessed antidepressant like effects, which would be of therapeutic interest for using Fenchone in the treatment of depressive disorders.
2. Bertram G. Katzung, MD, PhD. Basic and clinical pharmacology, 2012; 12: 521-538.
3. Goodman &Gilman’s Manual of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 2008; 1: 278- 288.
4. Haiying Dong , Zhiying Gao et al., β-Asarone reverses Chronic Unpredictable Mild Stress-Induced Depression-Like Behavior and Promotes Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Rats, Molecules, 2014; 19: 5634-5649.
5. Gao-Feng Wu, Shuang Ren et al., Antidepressant effect of taurine in chronic unpredictable mild stress induced depressive rats, 2017; 7: 49-54.
6. Debjit bhowmik et.al. Depression symptoms causes, Medications and Therapies, 2012; 1(3): 1-4.
7. The experience of work related stress across occupations, Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol. 20 No. 2, pp. 178-187.
8. Essentials of medical pharmacology, 2013; 7: 454- 455.
9. Robert Tisserand and Rodney et al., constituent profiles, 2014.
10. Rajeshwari Shastry, Aadhya Sharma, Vinay Sayeli, Ullal Sheetal Dinkar, Screening of Antidepressant Activity of Punica granatum in Mice. Pharmacognosy journal, 2017; 9(1): 27-29.
11. Santosh p, venugopl r. et al., Antidepressant activity of methanolic extract of passiflora foetida leaves in mice, 2011; 3(1):5- 9.
12. Ankur jindal n, radhakrishnan mahesh et al., antidepressant-like effect of etazolate, acyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitor—an approach using rodent behavioral antidepressant tests battery, 2012; 689: 125-131.
13. Radhakrishnan Mahesh, Shvetank Bhatt et al., Anti-depressant - Like Effect of Novel 5-HT Receptor Antagonist, (4- 3 benzylpiperazin-1-yl) (3 methoxyquinoxalin-2-yl) methanone (6g) in Acute and Chronic Animal Models of Depression, 2011; 49: 619- 626.
14. Ashok Kumar, B.S 1, Lakshman, K et al., Antidepressant Activity of Methanolic Extract of Amaranthus spinosus, 2014; 5 (1):1-7.
15. Yi Chea, Zhu Zhou et al., Chronic unpredictable stress impairs endogenous antioxidant defense in rat brain Neuroscience Letters, 2015; 584: 208–213.
16. Qing-Qiu Mao, Siu-Po Ip et al., Peony glycosides produce antidepressant-like action in mice exposed to chronic unpredictable mild stress: Effects on hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal function and brain-derived neurotropic factor. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry, 2009; 33: 1211–1216.
17. Ossowska1. G, Nowak. G et al., Brain monoamine receptors in a chronic unpredictable stress model in rats, 2001; 108 (3): 311–319.
18. Daniela M. Pechlivanova et al., Effect of long-term caffeine administration on depressive-like behavior in rats exposed to chronic unpredictable stress. behavioral pharmacology, 2012; 23: 339–347.
19. Betina Elfving, Pia Høgh Plougmann et al., Differential brain, but not serum VEGF levels in a genetic rat model of depression. Neuroscience Letters, 2010; 474: 13–16.
20. Keskin. I, Guna. Y et al., Effects of Foeniculum vulgare essential oil compounds, fenchone and limonene, on experimental wound healing. Biotechnic & Histochemistry 2017; 1: 1–9.
21. Aydin Him, Hanefi Ozbek et al., Antinociceptive activity of alpha-pinene and fenchone). Pharmacology online, 2008; 3: 363-369.
22. Y Monica Zuzartea, Maria J. GonÅalvesb et al., Chemical Composition and Antifungal Activity of the Essential Oils of Lavandula pedunculata. Chemistry & biodiversity, 2009; 6: 1-9.
23. Do-hyoung kim, soon-il kim et al., Repellent Activity of Constituents Identified in Foeniculum vulgare Fruit against Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae. J. Agric. Food Chem, 2002; 50: 6993−6996.
24. Ranjith Kumar Manoharan, Jin-Hyung Lee and Jintae Lee, Antibiofilm and Antihyphal Activities of Cedar Leaf Essential Oil, Camphor, and Fenchone Derivatives against Candida albicans. August 2017; 8: 1-12.
25. Gerhard Vogel. H, Drug Discovery and Evaluation, second edition, 2002.1: 388- 393.
26. Casarotto PC, Andreatini R. Repeated Paroxetine treatment reverses anhedonia induced in rats by chronic mild stress or dexamethasone. Neuro psychopharmacology, 2007; 17:735–742.
27. C. ARON, P. SIMO et al., Evaluation of a rapid technique for detecting minor tranquilizers. Neuropharmarology, 1971; 10: 459-469.
28. Dinesh Dhingra and Amandeep Sharma, Antidepressant-Like Activity of n-Hexane Extract of Nutmeg (Myristica fragrans) Seeds in Mice, J Med Food, 2006; 9 (1): 84–89.
29. Lee AL, OgleWO, Sapolsky RM. Stress and depression: possible links to neuron death in the hippocampus. Bipolar Disord 2002; 4:117–128.
30. Vincent Castagne, Paul Moser et al., Rodent Models of Depression: Forced Swim and Tail Suspension Behavioral Despair Tests in Rats and Mice. Current Protocols in Pharmacology, 2010; 5.8.1- 5.8.14.
31. Zhengchao Xia1, Hongyan Wei2 et al., Chronic unpredicted mild stress-induced depression alter Saxagliptin pharmacokinetics and CYP450 activity in GK rats. Peer journal, 2016; 1611.
Copyright © Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.