Green Medicine for Weight Management: Medicinal Plants as promising curative agents in the treatment of Obesity
Obesity has become a global health crisis with substantial implications for public health. In the past 50 years, significant advancements have been made in the treatment of disorders like hypertension, adult-onset diabetes, and increased cholesterol that are directly related to obesity. However, the disease of obesity has proven to be mostly resistant to treatments, and anti-obesity drugs (AOMs) frequently have questionable safety and poor efficacy. Here, we give a summary of the history of AOM development with an emphasis on the lessons learned and current challenges. The search for next-generation AOMs that look capable of safely accomplishing significant and sustained body weight loss is motivated by recent developments, including improved knowledge of the molecular gut-brain communication. The exploration of medicinal plants for their anti-obesity potential has gained momentum due to their perceived safety and cultural acceptance.
2. Ikeda, K., and Yamada, T. (2020). UCP1 dependent and independent thermogenesis in Brown and beige adipocytes. Front. Endocrinol. (Lausanne) 11, 498.
3. Lin, X., and Li, H. (2021). Obesity: Epidemiology, pathophysiology, and therapeutics. Front. Endocrinol. (Lausanne) 12, 706978.
4. Raoof, G. F. A., and Kareem, A.M. Z. A. E. (2020). The golden role of natural products in obesity. Int. J. Pharma Res. Health Sci. 8 (6), 3248–3255.
5. Zhang, Y., Fan, S., Hu, N., Gu, M., Chu, C., Li, Y., & Xiong, L. (2012). Rhein Reduces Fat Weight indb/dbMouse and Prevents Diet-Induced Obesity in C57Bl/6 Mouse through the Inhibition of PPARγ Signaling. https://scite.ai/reports/10.1155/2012/374936.
6. Zhuoyue, Z., Ruangaram, W., & Kato, E. (2021). Saponins are responsible for the anti-obesogenic activity of Acacia concinna. https://scite.ai/reports/10.1007/s11418-021-01530-0.
7. Aipire, A., Mahabati, M., Cai, S., Wei, X., Yuan, P., Aimaier, A., et al. (2020). The immunostimulatory activity of polysaccharides from Glycyrrhiza uralensis. PeerJ 8, e8294.
8. Bolin, A. P., Sousa-Filho, C. P. B., Dos Santos, G. T. N., Ferreira, L. T., de Andrade, P. B. M., Figueira, A. C. M., et al. (2020). Adipogenic commitment induced by green tea polyphenols remodel adipocytes to a thermogenic phenotype. J. Nutr. Biochem. 83, 108429.
9. Feng, S., Reuss, L., and Wang, Y. (2016). Potential of natural products in the inhibition of adipogenesis through regulation of PPARγ expression and/or its transcriptional activity. Molecules 21 (10), 1278.
10. Heymsfield, S.B., et al. (1998). Garcinia cambogia (hydroxycitric acid) as a potential antiobesity agent: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA, 280(18), 1596-1600.
11. Hursel, R., et al. (2009). The effects of green tea on weight loss and weight maintenance: A meta-analysis. International Journal of Obesity, 33(9), 956-961.
12. Khan, A., et al. (2003). Cinnamon improves glucose and lipids of people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care, 26(12), 3215-3218.
13. Gadde, K. M., and Atkins, K. D. (2020). The limits and challenges of antiobesity pharmacotherapy. Expert Opin. Pharmacother. 21 (11), 1319–1328.
14. Khandouzi, N., Shidfar, F., Rajab, A., Rahideh, T., Hosseini, P., and Mir Taheri, M. (2015). The effects of ginger on fasting blood sugar, hemoglobin a1c, apolipoprotein B, apolipoprotein a-I and malondialdehyde in type 2 diabetic patients. Iran. J. Pharm. Res. IJPR 14 (1), 131–140.
15. Kumar, A., Sundaram, K., Teng, Y., Mu, J., Sriwastva, M. K., Zhang, L., et al. (2022). Ginger nanoparticles mediated induction of Foxa2 prevents high-fat diet-induced insulin resistance. Theranostics 12 (3), 1388–1403.
16. Kwan, H. Y.,Wu, J., Su, T., Chao, X. J., Liu, B., Fu, X., et al. (2017). Cinnamon induces browning in subcutaneous adipocytes. Sci. Rep. 7 (1), 2447.
17. Mansour, M.S., et al. (2012). Ginger consumption enhances the thermic effect of food and promotes feelings of satiety without affecting metabolic and hormonal parameters in overweight men: A pilot study. Metabolism, 61(10), 1347-1352.
18. Neelakantan, N., et al. (2014). Effect of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum L.) intake on glycemia: A meta-analysis of clinical trials. Nutrition Journal, 13, 7.
19. Sharma, B., et al. (2018). Anti-obesity effect of Commiphora wightii in high-fat diet induced obese rats. Physiology & Behavior, 188, 79-85.
20. Jeong, E., et al. (2017). Aloe vera gel extract attenuates ethanol-induced hepatic lipid accumulation by suppressing the expression of lipogenic genes in mice. Phytotherapy Research, 31(8), 1247-1253.
21. Chuengsamarn, S., et al. (2014). Curcumin extract for prevention of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care, 35(11), 2121-2127.
22. Stohs, S.J., et al. (2012). A review of the human clinical studies involving Citrus aurantium (bitter orange) extract and its primary protoalkaloid p-synephrine. International Journal of Medical Sciences, 9(7), 527-538.
23. Janssens, P.L., et al. (2013). Acute effects of capsaicin on energy expenditure and fat oxidation in negative energy balance. PLoS ONE, 8(7), e67786.
24. Lee, H. E., Yang, G., Han, S. H., Lee, J. H., and Jang, J. K., (2018). Anti-obesity potential of Glycyrrhiza uralensis and licochalcone A through induction of adipocyte browning. Biochem. Biophysical Res. Commun. 503 (3), 2117–2123.
25. Huang, L., Zhang, J., Zhu, X., Mi, X., Li, Q., Gao, J., et al. (2021). The phytochemical rhein mediates M(6)a-independent suppression of adipocyte differentiation. Front. Nutr. 8, 756803.
26. Latha, B. P., (2011). Therapeutic efficacy of Achyranthes aspera saponin extract in high fat diet induced hyperlipidaemia in male wistar rats. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 10 (74), 17038–17042.
27. Li, R., Lan, Y., Chen, C., Cao, Y., Huang, Q., Ho, C. T., et al. (2020). Anti-obesity effects of capsaicin and the underlying mechanisms: A review. Food & Funct. 11 (9), 7356–7370.
28. Tucci, S. A. (2010). Phytochemicals in the control of human appetite and body weight. Pharm. (Basel) 3 (3), 748–763.
29. Jain, S., and Singh, S. N. (2013). Metabolic effect of short term administration of Hoodia gordonii, an herbal appetite suppressant. South Afr. J. Bot. 86, 51–55.
30. Hasani-Ranjbar, S., Jouyandeh, Z., and Abdollahi, M. (2013). A systematic review of anti-obesity medicinal plants - an update. J. Diabetes Metabolic Disord. 12, 28.
31. Zhang, Y., and Huang, C. (2012). Targeting adipocyte apoptosis: A novel strategy for obesity therapy. Biochem. biophysical Res. Commun. 417 (1), 1–4.
32. Spiegelman, B. M. (2013). Banting lecture 2012: Regulation of adipogenesis: Toward new therapeutics for metabolic disease. Diabetes 62 (6), 1774–1782.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.