Formulation and evaluation of ivermectin emulgel formulations
Ivermectin, a broad-spectrum antiparasitic agent, has demonstrated significant therapeutic efficacy against various skin conditions. However, it's poor skin permeability and limited stability often hinder its clinical application. Emulgel, a hybrid dosage form combining the advantages of both emulsions and gels, has emerged as a promising topical delivery system to enhance the skin permeation and stability of poorly permeable drugs. In this study, we aimed to formulate and characterize an Ivermectin emulgel to address the challenges associated with its topical delivery. The emulgel was prepared using a two-step method, involving the preparation of an oil-in-water (o/w) emulsion, which was then gelled with suitable gelling agents. Different concentrations of Ivermectin, oil phase, surfactants, and gelling agents were screened to optimize the formulation for maximum drug loading and stability. The optimized Ivermectin emulgel was characterized for its physicochemical properties, including pH, viscosity, spreadability, drug content, and rheological behavior. The study's findings support the potential application of the emulgel in treating various skin conditions caused by parasites and infectious agents. Further, in vivo studies and clinical trials are required to validate its safety and effectiveness in a clinical setting.
2. Anyanwu NCJ, Adogo LY, Ajide B. Development and evaluation of in situ gelling gastroretentive formulations of Meloxicam. Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2017; 2(3): 10-13.
3. Mohite Shraddha, Salunkhe Anuradhe, “Formulation and evaluation of emulgel containing Coriandrum sativum seed oil for anti inflammatory activity”, Journal of drug delivery and therapeutics, 9,3, PP: 124-130, 2019.
4. Obanewa OA, Oyeniran OT. Development and estimation of anti-inflammatory activity of topical etoricoxib emulgel by carrageenan induced paw oedema method. Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2019;4(3):22-26.
5. Effionora Anwar, Delly Ramadan, Harmita, “Formulation and evaluation of gel and emulgel of chili extract as topical dosage forms”, International journal of Pharmaceutical sciences, 6,3,PP: 13-16,2014.
6. Laing R, Gillan V, Devaney E (June 2017). "Ivermectin - Old Drug, New Tricks?". Trends in Parasitology. 33 (6): 463–472.
7. Ugochukwu AE, Nnedimkpa OJ, Rita NO. Preparation and characterization of Tolterodine tartrate proniosomes, Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2017; 2(2): 1-3.
8. Shamim, Md.Idris, “Pharmaceutical design and development of an Unani emulgel dosage form a novel approach”, The Parma Innovation, 8,1,PP : 378-388, 2019.
9. Umar S, Onyekachi MK. Development and evaluation of transdermal gel of Lornoxicam. Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2017; 2(1): 15-18.
10. Gehan Fathy Balala, Hanan Abd El Menan Shamardl, Hanan Md.Adb Elman, Afnan Abdullah Kakami, hananAbd.Almodhwali, “Propolis emulgel a natural remedy for burn and wound”, Drug development and Industrial Pharmacy, 2108.
11. Paliwal S, Kaur G, Arya KKR. Formulation and characterization of topical nano emulgel of terbinafine. Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2018;3(6):28-34.
12. Md.Shadab, Sharia Shamsi, “Design and evaluation of Unani emulgel for Vitiligo”, Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine, 1(6), 2018.
13. Mursyid AM, Waris R. Formulation and evaluation of pharmaceuticaly stable serum of D. indica (Arbenan). Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2021; 6(1):38-42.
14. Mrs.Pingali Prasuna Sundari, Deepthi Mullapudi, Dr. Prathima Srinivas, “Formulation and evaluation of anti arthritic Pharmaceutical emulgel”, International Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 6,2,PP : 6608-6621, 2014.
15. Türkmen A, Esentürk-Güzel İ, Kara BA. Innovative drug delivery systems for infectious diseases of the skin. Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2022; 7(4):68-76.
16. Hamsinah, Meylinda A, Khusnia, Mario R, Ummum A, Safitri D. Application of lutein-zeaxanthin of egg yolk based hydrogel eye mask as a preventive effort against Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS). Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2021; 6(5):24-29.
17. Panahi Y, Poursaleh Z, Goldust M (2015). "The efficacy of topical and oral ivermectin in the treatment of human scabies" (PDF). Annals of Parasitology. 61 (1): 11–16.
18. Santosh. V. Gandhi, Nikitha. M,. Nilgar, Mangesh. R. Balekar. Formulation and evaluation of Phytoconstituents emulgel for the treatment of Varicose Veins”, European Journal of Pharmacy and Medical research, 5,7,PP : 432-437, 2018.
19. Gurpınar SS, Devrim B, Eryılmaz M. In-vitro antibacterial activity of lactobacilli metabolites loaded hydrogel formulations against Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Universal Journal of Pharm Research 2019; 4(4):9-11.
20. Elsaied EH, Dawaba HM, Ibrahim EA, Afouna MI. Investigation of proniosomes gel as a promising carrier for transdermal delivery of Glimepiride. Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2016; 1(2): 1-10.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.