A study on Pharm D Students Present Views and Future Plans
Objective- This study aims to evaluate reasons for joining the Pharm D program among the graduates and students, their levels of satisfaction regarding choice, their perception towards the program and future career plans.
Methods- All students and graduates under the Kerala University of Health Sciences, KUHS were invited to participate in the study conducted using the online portal- Google forms.
Results- A total of 199 participants responded to the questionnaire, where the main reasons for choosing the program were to serve the society (88.4%), he/she is good at science (81.4%) and to settle and work abroad (70.9%). Working as hospital Clinical Pharmacist (87.9%) and Pharmacovigilance(80.4%) were the most preferred future career plans. About 59.8% respondents were ambitious towards pharmacy field.
Conclusion- More than half of the respondents were satisfied to choose pharmacy and their reason for choice was to serve the society which outstood other factors and were more inclined to depict their skills in the field of pharmacovigilance and as clinical pharmacists.
3. Pharm DQ,Evaluating the impact of clinical interventions by Pharm D students on Internal medicines clerkship: The results of a three year study. Ann Pharmacother.206;40:1541-5.
4. Mateti UV, Rajesh V, Laddha A, Sharma S and Anantha NN: Activities of Pharm D students in Indian Hospital.PharmaRev.2011;7:133-4.
5. Deshpande PR, Farooq KK, John DM and Rao EJ: PharmD A new concept in India.J Pharm Bioallied Sci.2012;4:84-6.
6. Abdelhadi Nadine N, WazaifyMayyada, ElhajjiFeras W Darwish, et al. Doctor of pharmacy in Jordan students' career choices, perceptions and expectations. J Pharm NutrSci 2014; 4(4): 213e219.
7. Anderson DC, Sheffield MC, Hill AM, et al. Influences on pharmacy students' decision to pursue a doctor of pharmacy degree. Am J PharmaceutEduc 2008; 72(2): 22.
8. Keshishian F. Factors influencing pharmacy students' choice of major and its relationship to anticipatory socialization. Am J PharmaceutEduc 2010; 74(4): 75.
9. Keshishian F, Brocavich JM, Boone RT, et al. Motivating factors influencing college students' choice of academic major. Am J PharmaceutEduc 2010; 74(3): 46.
10. Savage LM, Beall JW, Woolley TW. Factors that influence the career goals of pharmacy students. Am J PharmaceutEduc 2009; 73(2): 28.
11. Bin Saleh G, Rezk NL, Laika L, et al. Pharmacist, the pharmaceutical industry and pharmacy education in Saudi Arabia: a questionnaire-based study. Saudi Pharmaceut J SPJ OfficPubl Saudi PharmaceutSoc 2015; 23(5): 573e580.
12. Kiersma ME, Plake KS, Newton GD, et al. Factors affecting prepharmacy students' perceptions of the professional role of pharmacists. Am J PharmaceutEduc 2010; 74(9): 161.
13. Alhaddad MS. Undergraduate pharmacy students' motivations, satisfaction levels, and future career plans. J TaibahUniv Med Sc 2018;13(3):247e253.
14. ShakeelSadia, IffatWajiha, Yasmin Riffat, et al. Prospective career preferences of imminent pharmacist. IOSR J Pharm 2013; 3(8): 38e43.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Copyright © Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.