A Review on Stem Cellstherapyis A New Era in Type 2 Diabetes
Diabetes is one of the most leading cause of death worldwide. Around 40 million diabetics are reported in India. Stem cell therapy is a branch of medicine that involves introducing stem cells into a diseased tissue which triggers the body’s ability to heal itself. Stem cell therapy is a latest technique which can be used to treat diabetes mellitus. In India the success rate of stem cell therapy in diabetes mellitus is approximately 70 - 80 %. As this stem cells may be harvested from the bone marrow, umbilical cord and matured adult. In the present review we are discussing about the use of stem cell therapy in type 2 diabetes and how it works. Type 2 diabetes mellitus results from combination of insulin resistance and dysfunction of insulin producing beta cells which cannot be reversed by existing therapeutic strategies, transplantation of stem cells which are differentiating into insulin producing cells is one of the most promising strategy for treating type 2 diabetes.
2. Yvette Brazier, What are stem cells, and what do they do, Medical news today, Medically reviewed by Daniel Murrell, M.D. on October 15, 2018.
3. Minoru S. H.KO, Harrison’s principle of internal medicine, regenerative medicine, stem cell biology, 19th edition, New Delhi, MC Graw Hills Education, 2015, Pg. No : 453-456.
4. Types of stem cell, International Society for stem cell research(internet),a closer look at stem cells, 2019, Available from http://www.closerlookat stem cells.org/learn-about-stem-cells.
5. Diseases Treated with Stem Cells and its Potential Applications, Cord Life (internet), Cord Blood, November 2018, available from: https://www.cordlife.com/sg/treatable-diseases.
6. International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 8th edn Available from: http://wwwdiabetesatlasorg/ 2017 Accessed December 19th, 2017.
7. Nanditha A, Ma RC, Ramachandran A, et al Diabetes in Asia and the Pacific: implications for the global epidemic. Diabetes Care 2016; 39: 472–485.
8. Chan JC, Zhang Y, Ning G. Diabetes in China: a societal solution for a personal challenge. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2014; 2: 969–979.
9. Ingelfinger JR, Rosen CJ. Cardiac and renovascular complications in type 2 diabetes–is there hope N Engl J Med 2016; 375: 380–382.
10. Worel JN, Hayman LL. Preventing cardiovascular disease in patients with diabetes: new evidence informs changes in standards of care. J Cardiovasc Nurs 2016; 31: 198–200.
11. Gregg EW, Sattar N, Ali MK. The changing face of diabetes complications. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2016; 4: 537–547.
12. Ryan EA, Paty BW, Senior PA, Bigam D, Alfadhli E, Kneteman NM, et al. Five-year follow-up after clinical islet transplantation. Diabetes. 2005;54(7):2060–9.
13. Moriscot C, de Fraipont F, Richard MJ, Marchand M, Savatier P, Bosco D, et al. Human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells can express insulin and key transcription factors of the endocrine pancreas developmental pathway upon genetic and/or microenvironmental manipulation in vitro. Stem Cells. 2005;23(4):594–603.
14. Kambham Venkateswarlu, Pharmatutor-Art-1649, review on stem cell therapy for diabetes, published date 2018.
15. Roshan Pyatha, granulocyte collection by apheresis machine, Spectra Optia Media,5th march 2018, available from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpdChQWG8Lw.
16. Alison M.R. Stem Cell Plasticity. In: Schwab M. (eds) Encyclopedia of Cancer. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg,2011.
17. Czubak P, Bojarska-Junak A, Tabarkiewicz J, Putowski L. A modified method of insulin producing cells’ generation from bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. J Diabetes Res. 2014;2014:628591.
18. Moriscot C, de Fraipont F, Richard MJ, Marchand M, Savatier P, Bosco D, et al. Human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells can express insulin and key transcription factors of the endocrine pancreas developmental pathway upon genetic in vitro. Stem Cells. 2005,
19. Stem Cell Therapy In India, (internet),Stem Cell Therapy In India 2019 available from.www.stemcelltherapyinindia.com.
Copyright © Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.