Case Report on Fournier's Gangrene
Fournier's Gangrene is a rare condition marked by fluminent polymicrobial necrotising fascitis which involves scrotum and penis, or both with occasional extensions upto the an abdominal wall. Pre disposing factors includes Diabetes mellitus,Immuno compromised patients, Alcoholism, Tobacco, Chemotherapy, Radiography etc. Fournier's Gangrene occurs at any age and it effects mostly in men but also effects women too. We present a case of Fournier's Gangrene - A 40 years old male patient was admitted in emergency department with the complaints of pain over the Testicular region, Itching, Ulcerative over the scrotal region with foul smell & pus discharge and fever. This symptoms have started five day prior to the presentation but symptoms are rapidly progressive in nature since 24 hours of admission. His past medical history reveals that he has Diabetes mellitus type-1 and on medication. He had undergone surgery of hydrocelectomy one month back.The management steps Includes Resustation , Broad spectrum Antibiotics, Surgical debredment and skin grafting. As the patient is known diabetes the chances of infection is more. So early presentation, diagnosis and treatment plays a major role in preventing further complications. In order to do this, we have to provide awareness about the disease among the people.
2. Christos Iavazzo, KonstainosKalmantis, VisalikiAnastasidou, George Mantzaris, VallantisKoumpis, Fortune Ntziora-Founier's gangrene in a patient after third degree burns - A case report. Journal of medical case reports - Volume -3.
3. Prasan KumarHota.Fournier’s Gangrene: Report of 2 Cases. Case Reports in Emergency. Medicine. 2012; Vol- 2012: 4 pages.
G Martinelli et al. Fournier’s gangrene: a clinical presentation of necrotizing fasciitis after bone marrow transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplantation,1998; vol 22: 1023–1026.
4. Nivaldo Cardozo Filhoretal.Case report: treatment of Fournier’s gangrene of the shoulder girdle. Revistabrasileira De Orthopedia. 2018; 53(4): 493–498.
5. YasanIdweini. Necrotising Scrotum Fasciitis ( Fournier's Gangrene) in an infant: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Clinical Research in Urology. 2018; Vol 1 (1): 1-3.
6. Sawayama et Al. A fascialLata free flap in pelvic exenteration for Fournier Gangrene due to advanced rectal cancer: A Case Report. Surgical Case Reports. 2017;3:74.
7. Tim Jiang, John A, Covington et Al. Fournier Gangrene Associated with Crohn Disease. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2000;75:647-649.
8. Papadimitrious G, Koukoulaki M, Vardas K, et Al. Fournier Gangrene due to perioperative latrogenic Colon Perforation in a Renal Transplant Recipient. Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation. 2015;26(6):1257-1261.
9. Mukoro Duke George et al. Neonatal Fournier's Gangrene ;sequelly of Traditional birth practice: Case Report and Short Review. Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences. 2013; 5(3): PP 01-03.
10. Leo Francis Tauro, Roshan M et al. Fournier's Gangrene of the penis. Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery. July- December 2005;Vol 38(2):154-155.
11. Corrina's MM, Fernandez MP, Lopoz SG, Madrinan SY. Genital necrotising fasciitis: Fournier's Gangrene. Derma-tol Open Journal. 2016; 1(2): 30-34.
12. Singh G, Ali I, Bharpoda P, Jindal N. Fournier's Gany; A study of 18 cases. Archives of International Surgery.3012;2;2:74-8.
13. Niranjan Kumar et al. Isolated Fournier's Gangrene of Penis: Case Series with Review of Literature. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2019 Feb, Vol-13(2):PR01-PR03.
14. Chala SN, Gallop C, Mydlo JH. Fournier's Gangrene; An analysis of repeated surgical debredment. Eururol 2003;43:572-5.
15. Jayan George et al. Perforated Rectal Cancer Presenting as Fournier's Gangrene in a Confused Older Patient. Reports. 2018;1:17.
16. Singh AP, Gupta AK, Pardeshi R, Garg D.
17. Neonatal Fournier's Gangrene. Journal of Clinical Neonatology. 2018;7:174-6.
18. Michele Del Zingaro et al. Fournier's Gangrene and absuse of intravenous drug: unusual case report and review of the Literature. Open Med. 2019; 14:694-710.
19. Baghel B, Dhruv K. Fournier's Gangrene in a Neonate: A Case Report Journal of Nepal Paediatric Society. 2010;30(3):166-167.
20. AhmetEminv, OktayDokuz et al. A Case Report: Fournier's Gangrene in a patient with Type-1 Diabetes Mellitus. Turkish Medical Student Journal 2015;1:149-151.
21. Takashi Miyamoto et al. Fournier's Gangrene: A Case Report. ACTA Medical Nagasakiensia. 2017;61:37-40.
22. Amr Y Arkoubi, Sajad Ahmad Salati. Fournier's Gangrene- A Case Report and a brief review. Journal of Pakistan Association of Dermotologists. 2015;25(1)44-51.
23. Safioleas MC, Stamatakos MC, Diab AI, Safioleas PM. The use of oxygen in Fournier’s gangrene. Saudi Med J 2006;27:1748‑50.
24. . Ekingen G, Isken T, Agir H, Oncel S, Günlemez A. Fournier’s gangrene in childhood: A report of 3 infant patients. J Pediatr.Surg 2008;43:e39‑42.
Ameh EA, Dauda MM, Sabiu L, Mshelbwala PM, Mbibu HN, Nmadu PT, et al. Fournier’s gangrene in neonates and infants. Eur J PediatrSurg 2004;14:418‑21.
25. Bakshi C, Banavali S, Lokeshwar N, Prasad R, Advani S. Clustering of Fournier (male genital) gangrene cases in a pediatric cancer ward. Med PediatrOncol 2003;41:472‑4.
26. Laucks SS 2nd. Fournier’s gangrene. SurgClin North Am1994;74:1339‑52.
27. Pastore AL, Palleschi G, Ripoli A, et al. A multistep approach to manage Fournier’s gangrene in a patient with unknown type II diabetes: surgery, hyperbaric oxygen, and vacuumassisted closure therapy: a case report. J Med Case Rep, 2013, 7:1.
28. Rosa I, Guerreiro F. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for the treatment of Fournier’s gangrene: a review of 34 cases. Acta Med Port, 2015, 28(5): 619-623.
29. Thrane JF, Ovesen T. Scarce evidence of efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in necrotizinf soft tissue infection: a systematic review. Infect Dis (Lond), 2019 Jul;51(7):485-492.
30. Licheri S, Erdas E, Pisano G et al. Fournier's gangrene in an HIV-positive patient: Therapeutic options. Chir Ital. 2008;60:607-15.
31. Czymek R, Frank P, Limmer S, Schmidt A, Jungbuth T, Roblick
U, et al fouriners gangrene: is female gender a risk factor? Langenbecks arch surg 2010:395: 173-80
Copyright © Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.