Case Study on Guillain Barre Syndrome – A Rare Auto immune Inflammatory De-myelinating neuropathy observed at Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital
Autoimmune cell activation causes damage to different cells of the human body. In rare cases, this autoimmune cell activation destroys the Myelin sheath which wraps around the long nerve cell bodies and leads to the development of extremely rare nerve cell-related autoimmune disorder known as Guillain-Barre syndrome. The present case of 34 years old male patient who was admitted in the general medicine department of a tertiary care teaching hospital with complaints of arthralgia, generalized weakness mediated with tingling sensation started at feet progressing upwards. Treatment included antibacterial agents and steroidal autoinflammatory agents. After the continuous treatment for a period of 13 days, the patient was found to be normal with no major complaints and so, the pharmacist when performed discharge counseling and patient was discharged with a 2-week drug regimen after discharge.
2. Yoshikawa, K. et al. Varied antibody reactivities and clinical relevance in anti-GQ1b antibody-related diseases. Neurol. Neuroimmunol. Neuroinflamm. 5, e501 (2018).
3. Yuki, N. Infectioos origins of, and molecular mimicry in, Guillain-Barre and Fisher syndromes. Lancet Infect. Dis. 1, 29-37(2001).
4. HJ, Jacobs BC, van Doorn PA. Guillain-Barre syndrome. Lancet. 2016 Aug13;388(10045):717-27.
5. Sejvar JJ, Baughman AL, Wise M, Morgan OW. Population incidence of Guillain-Barre syndrome: a systemic review and meta-analysis. Neuroepidemiology.2011;36(2):123-33.
8. 8- https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/guillain-barre-syndrome.html
9. Wakerley BR,Yukin(2013) Infectious and noninfectious triggers in Guillain-Barre syndrome. Expert Revclin Immunol9(7):627-639
10. Dimachkie MM, Barohn RJ. Guillain-Barre syndrome and variants. Neurolclin.2013;31(2):491-510
11. British Journal of General practice 2016;66(645):218-219.
14. Guillain-Barre syndrome by Udaya Senevirathe